Just like in the open source release of Puppet, Puppet Enterprise automates the provisioning, patching, and configuration of operating system and application components across enterprise and cloud infrastructure. To find out which release is best for your organization compare Puppet open source and Puppet Enterprise.
Puppet Enterprise packages the underlying components required, and bundles the requisite support and services necessary to support enterprise deployments.
Puppet Enterprise includes the following components in a single installer:
- Puppet Master
- Puppet Agent
- Puppet Enterprise Console
- Puppet Module Tool
- Puppet Compliance
- Apache HTTP server
- Phusion Passenger
- Ruby on Rails
Puppet Enterprise Supported Operating Systems
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5, 6
- CentOS 5, 6
- Ubuntu 10.04 LTS & 12.04 LTS
- Debian 6
- Scientific Linux 5, 6
- Oracle Linux 5, 6
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 SP1
- AIX* 5.3, 6.1, 7.1
- Solaris* 10
- Windows* Server 2003/2008 R2, and Windows* 7
* Agent Only
Puppet Enterprise’s hardware requirements depend on the roles a machine performs.
- The puppet master role should be installed on a robust, dedicated server.
- Minimum requirements: 2 processor cores, 1 GB RAM, and very accurate timekeeping.
- Recommended requirements: Physical hardware, or VMware or Xen or KVM virtual server, with 2-4 processor cores and 4 GB RAM. Performance will vary, but this configuration can generally manage approximately 1,000 agent nodes.
- The console role should usually be installed on the same server as the puppet master, but can optionally be separated.
- Minimum requirements: A machine able to handle moderate web traffic and perform processor-intensive background tasks.
- The cloud provisioner role has very modest requirements.
- Minimum requirements: A system which provides interactive shell access for trusted users.
- The puppet agent role has very modest requirements.
- Minimum requirements: Any hardware able to comfortably run a supported operating system.
Read more in the Puppet Enterprise FAQs