We spent several days in Austin last week attending Puppet Camp Austin and DevOpsDays. A big thank you to MomentumSI and Geek Austin for sponsoring Puppet Camp, and thanks to the crew at DevOpsDays for a great event!
We kicked off the week at Puppet Camp Austin on Monday with Andy Parker giving the State of Puppet presentation. He talked about the overall state of IT automation and how Puppet fits into the ecosystem, along with updates about our many projects and initiatives.
We had quite a few great presentations including:
- David Nalley talking about how to use Puppet with Apache CloudStack.
- Adrien Thebo on writing & sharing great modules on the Puppet Forge.
- Dennis Rowe with a session about testing Puppet with RSpec.
- Dave Barcelo telling us all about how they use Puppet at Bazaarvoice.
- David Porter on Drupal development, deployment, and automation with Puppet.
- several last minute lightning talks!
We wrapped up the day with Jeremy Adams, who led us in a round of push ups while we waiting for some issues with the projector to be fixed before transitioning into the demos. He showed off some of the features of Puppet Enterprise, support for administering Windows and much more.
Thank you to everyone who joined us at Puppet Camp Austin! If you missed it, you can get links to the presentations or view materials from other past Puppet Camps by visiting the Previous Puppet Camps section of the Puppet Camp page.
We spent Tuesday and Wednesday at DevOpsDays Austin. We had a great time at the Puppet Labs table where we gave away t-shirts, stickers, copies of the 2013 DevOps Report and more! The best part of being there was talking to people, answering questions about Puppet Enterprise and doing demos.
There were so many great sessions at DevOpsDays Austin, but I had a few favorites!
- John Willis talked about the importance of culture in DevOps.
- Pete Cheslock gave a great talk about retaining employees when everyone is hiring (we're hiring, too)!
- Patrick DeBois gave us a lesson about genes and memes in the Future of DevOps.
- Gene Kim presented on how we can better sell the concept of DevOps.
Since we're not an all work and no play kind of shop, we also found time after DevOpsDays to visit the Congress Bridge, where over a million bats come streaming out almost every evening at dusk:
Thank you to everyone who stopped by our table or tracked us down at the event to talk about Puppet!
- Visit the Puppet Camp page to get information about upcoming camps and see materials from past Puppet Camps.
- Attend PuppetConf, our annual operations conference at the Fairmont in San Francisco on August 22 and 23. You can register now or submit a session proposal!
- Find a local Puppet User Group, or start one in your city!
- Download the Learning Puppet Enterprise VM, and get started learning Puppet Enterprise in a safe environment following our introductory tutorial.
- Already using Puppet, and have questions? Visit our community Ask site, and get answers and advice for using Puppet.
- Join the Puppet community.