Google Compute Engine
Puppet Labs’ integration with Google Compute Engine (GCE) enables system administrators to save time through automating the provisioning, configuration, and management of their Google cloud infrastructure. Using Puppet Enterprise and GCE, you can rapidly deploy new capacity in response to business demand at a fraction of the cost of on-premise infrastructure.
What Is Google Compute Engine?
Google Compute Engine is an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud, a reliable, open, cost-effective compute infrastructure that enables any business to run large scale computing workloads on the same infrastructure that runs Google search, Gmail, and ads. Google’s world-class data centers and infrastructure technology provide unparalleled performance and value, and its architecture is optimized for predictability, scalability, security, and flexibility.
Puppet + Google Compute Engine
To enable you to take full advantage of GCE, Puppet Labs worked closely with Google to develop a tight integration with Puppet Enterprise. As a result, you benefit from the following right out of the box:
- Agility. With Puppet Enterprise, through a single command you can automatically provision, configure, and deploy GCE cloud applications, responding in minutes to changes in demand.
- Scalability. GCE gives you access to a massive number of compute nodes. Using Puppet Enterprise, you can rapidly scale-out horizontally, managing 1000s of nodes as easily as managing one.
- Reusability. Thanks to Puppet Enterprise’s abstraction layer, the same Puppet configurations you built for managing resources in your physical on-premise infrastructure and other cloud infrastructures are reusable in Google Compute Engine.
- Productivity. Automate away mundane, repetitive tasks and spend time on stuff that matters. Using Puppet Enterprise to manage your GCE infrastructure allows you to focus on solving problems and avoid re-inventing the wheel.
- Insight. Puppet Enterprise gives you full visibility into the state of all Google Compute Engine resources - users, packages, files, services, and more - and aggregates configuration change data from all nodes into a single report.
The Google Compute Engine integration is fully compatible with both Puppet open source and Puppet Enterprise and is immediately available in Beta release for free download from Puppet Forge.